Configuring the ASAv 5.3.0-xx to work with GNS3
You may have found that trying to get the ASAv to work in GNS3 isn’t the easiest thing to do and in order for it to function correctly, we have a few tweaks we need to make to the QEMU.
NOTE: I will not provide the file, you will need to obtain this.
The instructions I have prepared below should be enough to get going, if you have any further questions please reach out to me
1. Install Cisco ASAv appliance from the GNS3 Marketplace
2. When promoted for the missing file, create a new version and insert the .qcow file and add your file
3. Go to the QEMU settings and change console type to “VNC”
4. Click on “Advanced Settings” and insert one of the following based on your CPU
FOR INTEL CPU
-cpu Nehalem -smp 4,sockets=4,cores=1,threads=1
-cpu SandyBridge -smp 4,sockets=4,cores=1,threads=1
FOR AMD CPU
-cpu Opteron_G5 -smp 4,sockets=4,cores=1,threads=1
5. Untick option “Use as a linked base VM”
6. Run the ASAv and select the 1st option – the device should reboot after first time use (this is normal).
7. Once rebooted select the same option and you should be all set to go
You can verify your ASAv version by using the following command #show version